• Looking at the title, cover and illustrations/ pictures, what do you think will happen in this
• What makes you think that?
• What characters do you think might be in the book?
• Do you think there will be problem in the story? Why?
• What do you already know about the topic of this book?
• What are you curious to find out about in this book?
• What do you want to learn?
• Does the topic or story relate to you or your family? How?
• Do you think it will be like any other book you’ve read? If so, which one, and how do you
think it will be similar?
• What does the book remind you of?
• What do you wonder about as you read this book?
. What do you think/predict will happen next? What makes you think that?
• What is the problem in the book?
• When you were reading this part, what pictures did you see in your head?
• What has happened so far in the story? Can you tell me using sequence words? (first,
then, next, after, finally, etc.)
• Why do you think the character did that?
• What would you do if you were the character?
• How would you have felt if you were the character?
• What are you wondering about as you read? What questions do you have?
• Think about the predictions you made before reading; do you still think the story will go
that way? Why or why not?
• How do you think it will go now?
• What questions do you have now that you are finished the book?
• What is the most important point that the author is trying to make in the book?
• Why do you think the author wrote this?
• Describe the setting of the story.
• Which of the characters did you like best? Why?
• What adventures do you think the character might have next? Why?
• Is there a character in the story that reminds you of someone you know? If so, who are
they like, and why do you think that?
• Did any of the characters change through the story? Who changed, and how did they
• Which character is the most like you?
• What were some of the problems or situations the characters encountered?
• Were your predictions correct? Where did you have to fix your prediction as you read?
• What was your favourite part? Why?
• If you could change one part, what would you change?
• If you could ask the author a question, what would you ask?
• Can you retell the story in sequence order (use your sequence words: first, second, then,
• Did you like the ending of the book? How would you change the ending?
• Does this book remind you of another book you know?